Opportunities at Wood - Meteorologist
Business Unit: Environment & Infrastructure Solutions
Job Location: Ottawa, ON
Job Reference Number: 23234
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is a leading full-service environmental engineering and construction/remediation services firm across the globe, providing environmental and geotechnical engineering and scientific consulting services. Our Met-Ocean Services Group has over 20 years of experience providing meteorological and oceanographic services in Canada and various international locations. We are weather, climate and ocean experts, mitigating financial and safety risk for clients whose businesses are sensitive to high impact weather events or severe ocean conditions. Meteorologists currently work from two weather offices located in: St. John’s, NL and Ottawa, ON.
Wood is currently seeking a Meteorologist to join our Operational Weather Forecasting Team, providing 24/7 meteorological services to terrestrial, energy and marine clients. The position will be based out of Ottawa, ON, supporting clients across North America. The available position is for a nighttime forecaster, working from approximately 6 pm – 5 am. This is a permanent, full-time position that has the potential to evolve over several years from purely nighttime forecasting into a rotating day / night shift role with 50% nighttime work and 50% daytime work. If you have a passion for weather analysis and forecasting and wish to experience first- hand the intense winter weather that easternmost North America presents, we’d love to hear from you.
- Provide weather forecasts, several times daily, to multiple industry sector clients; access to live 24/7 phone consultation is available for some clients
- Forecasts are used by Department of Transportation for pavement temperature to determine when pavement will freeze, utility clients to determine power capability and power load demand, construction industry to ensure safe work planning, and municipalities to conduct maintenance to mitigate flooding and congestion
- Provide marine forecasting for clients operating in near-short and offshore environment to determine safe travel for vessels, helicopters, etc.
- Provide severe weather alerting across North America and conduct severe event-post analysis to determine better prediction and best response for future events
Skills / Qualifications
- Candidates should have, at a minimum, a Bachelor of Science in Meteorology or the equivalent educational and operational experience; all candidates meeting qualifications will be considered
- Operational weather analysis and forecasting experience of at least 3 years is a preferred asset, though the group will provide hands on training for the right candidate
- Prior experience or understanding of marine meteorology is not required, but preferred
- The qualified candidate must possess strong communication skills along with the ability to make and support logical assertions based upon past and present meteorological information
- Experience with long range and seasonal forecasting is preferred
- Bilingual fluency in English and French is strongly preferred
TO APPLY: Click here to apply on our website
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of around $10 billion. We provide performance driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and/or protected veteran status in accordance with governing laws.
By submitting your resume, you consent to Wood plc sharing this information within its divisions in order to identify other employment opportunities for which you may be suitable.