Opportunities at Amec Foster Wheeler - Meteorologist
Business Unit: Environment & Infrastructure
Job Location: St. John’s, NL or Ottawa, ON
Job Reference Number: 19944
Amec Foster Wheeler Environment & Infrastructure is a leading full-service environmental engineering and construction/remediation services firm across the globe, providing environmental and geotechnical engineering and scientific consulting services. Our Met-Ocean Services Group has over 20 years of experience providing meteorological and oceanographic services in Canada and various international locations. We are weather, climate and ocean experts, mitigating financial and safety risk for clients whose businesses are sensitive to high impact weather events or severe ocean conditions. Meteorologists currently work from two weather offices located in: St. John’s, NL and Ottawa, ON.
Amec Foster Wheeler is currently seeking a Meteorologist to potentially join our Operational Weather Forecasting Team in the near future, providing 24/7 meteorological services to terrestrial, energy and marine clients. The position will likely be based out of St. John’s, NL or Ottawa, ON, involving rotating day / night shifts, supporting clients across North America. If you have a passion for weather analysis and forecasting and wish to experience first- hand the intense winter weather that easternmost North America presents, we’d love to hear from you.
- Provide weather forecasts, several times daily, to multiple industry sector clients; access to live 24/7 phone consultation is available for some clients
- Forecasts are used by Department of Transportation for pavement temperature to determine when pavement will freeze, utility clients to determine power capability and power load demand, construction industry to ensure safe work planning, and municipalities to conduct maintenance to mitigate flooding and congestion
- Provide marine forecasting for clients operating in near-short and offshore environment to determine safe travel for vessels, helicopters, etc.
- Provide severe weather alerting across North America and conduct severe event-post analysis to determine better prediction and best response for future events
Skills / Qualifications
- Candidates should have, at a minimum, a Bachelor of Science in Meteorology or the equivalent educational and operational experience; all candidates meeting qualifications will be considered
- Operational weather analysis and forecasting experience of at least 3 years is a preferred asset, though the group will provide hands on training for the right candidate
- Prior experience or understanding of marine meteorology is not required, but preferred
- The qualified candidate must possess strong communication skills along with the ability to make and support logical assertions based upon past and present meteorological information
- Experience with long range and seasonal forecasting is preferred
- Bilingual fluency in English and French is strongly preferred
How to Apply: Click here to apply on our website
Amec Foster Wheeler (www.amecfw.com) designs, delivers and maintains strategic and complex assets for its customers across the global energy and related sectors. Employing around 35,000 people in more than 55 countries and with 2016 revenues of £5.4 billion, the company operates across the oil and gas industry - from production through to refining, processing and distribution of derivative products - and in the mining, power and process, pharma, environment and infrastructure markets. Amec Foster Wheeler offers full life-cycle services to offshore and onshore oil and gas projects (conventional and unconventional, upstream, midstream and downstream) for greenfield, brownfield and asset support projects, plus leading refining technology.
Amec Foster Wheeler shares are publicly traded on the London Stock Exchange and its American Depositary Shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange. Both trade under the ticker AMFW.
Our Environment & Infrastructure Americas business is a leading environment and infrastructure, engineering, consulting and project management organization with about 175 offices and more than 6,000 employees. Our business locations reach from northern Canada to southern Chile and across the UK and Continental Europe. We provide a full range of services to clients in the power, government, industrial, mining, transportation, pharmaceutical, water, and oil & gas sectors.
We offer competitive salaries along with a complete benefits package and a variety of Training and Development Programs to help you develop the skills you need to succeed in your chosen career path.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and/or protected veteran status in accordance with governing laws.